2331 "God is love and in himself he lives a mystery of personal loving communion. Creating the human race in his own image . . .. God inscribed in the humanity of man and woman the vocation, and thus the capacity and responsibility, of love and communion."115
"God created man in his own image . . . male and female he created them";116 He blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and multiply";117 "When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. Male and female he created them, and he blessed them and named them Man when they were created."118
2332 Sexuality affects all aspects of the human person in the unity of his body and soul. It especially concerns affectivity, the capacity to love and to procreate, and in a more general way the aptitude for forming bonds of communion with others.
Catechism of the Catholic Church on Contraception (6th Commandment)
Church Documents and Teachings
Man is called to a fullness of life which far exceeds the dimensions of his earthly existence, because it consists in sharing the very life of God. The loftiness of this supernatural vocation reveals the greatness and the inestimable value of human life even in its temporal phase. Life in time, in fact, is the fundamental condition, the initial stage and an integral part of the entire unified process of human existence. It is a process which, unexpectedly and undeservedly, is enlightened by the promise and renewed by the gift of divine life, which will reach its full realization in eternity (cf. 1 Jn 3:1-2). At the same time, it is precisely this supernatural calling which highlights the relative character of each individual’s earthly life. After all, life on earth is not an “ultimate” but a “penultimate” reality; even so, it remains a sacred reality entrusted to us, to be preserved with a sense of responsibility and brought to perfection in love and in the gift of ourselves to God and to our brothers and sisters. – Pope John Paul II, March 25, 1995
- Catechism of the Catholic Church on Contraception (6th Commandment)
- Humanae Vitae: On the Regulation of Births, Pope Paul VI, July 25, 1968
- Married Love and the Gift of Life, USCCB, November 14, 2006 | Printable Document (PDF)
- Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services, Fifth Edition, USCCB, November 17, 2009
- Evangelium Vitae: On the Value and Inviolability of Human Life, Pope John Paul II, March 25, 1995
- Dignitas Personae: Instruction on Certain Bioethical Questions, The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, September 8, 2008
Bishop Barron on Contraception and Social Change
The year 2018 marks the 50th anniversary of Pope Paul VI’s deeply controversial encyclical letter “Humanae Vitae.” But I would like to draw particular attention to a remarkable passage in this encyclical, namely section 17, in which Paul VI plays the prophet and lays out, clearly and succinctly, what he foresees as consequences of turning away from the Church’s classic teaching on sex.
Catholic Teaching on IVF and Contraception Explained
Fr Mike Schmitz explains Catholic teaching on IVF and contraception in simple terms.
Dr Janet Smith - Contraception: Why Not - Abortion
An excerpt from Dr. Janet E. Smith's talk "Contraception: Why Not." Dr. Smith explains how contraception has not decreased the number of abortions, but has instead increased that number. To purchase this talk or read articles by Dr. Smith, visit her website at www.JanetESmith.org.
Humanae Vitae 50 Years Later: History of Dissent and Defense Prof. Janet Smith
This talk from Lighthouse Catholic Media is a great talk that gives overview of the history and the truth of Humanae Vitae. You can listen to a preview of this talk and you can also order copies of the CD here. Feel free to contact us for one copy.
- Life Matters: Contraception, Printable Document (PDF) by Susan E. Wills, Esq. 2010
- Be Her Joseph! By Tom Mealey, March 20, 2009
- Over-the-Counter Contraceptives: A Terrible Idea, by Susan Wills, December 21, 2012
- A Foolish Inconsistency on Contraception, by Susan Wills, October 31, 2012
- Brochure: Contraception: The Fine Print, by Susan E. Wills, Esq.
- Printable Document (PDF): Life Matters: Contraceptives and Women’s Well-Being by Susan E. Wills, Esq.
- The Contraceptive Mandate: What Is Its Real Impact? by Susan Wills, April 16, 2012
- For more Articles visit the USCCB Website.
- Contraceptive Mandates
- Does the HHS Mandate Include Abortifacients?
- Preventive Services Backgrounder
- Researchers Agree with Pope on Condoms & AIDS
- Emergency Contraception Fails to Reduce Unintended Pregnancy and Abortion | Printable Document (PDF)
- Title X Program
- Greater Access to Contraception Does Not Reduce Abortions
- For more Articles visit USCCB
Below you will find different lengthy talks that explain about contraception and Humanae Vitae